Stop emotional eating and your health will improve! You don’t need to diet as much as you need to become mindful of your own body and your emotions. A huge part of overeating is because of emotional issues.
Emotional self control can be more challenging to obtain than mental or physical self-control. Emotional eating can a major factor that can derail your weight-management plan.
When we are stressed or bored or facing a tough problem, this is when stress eating (emotional over-eating) can become a problem.
Use Your Breath
One of the best things you can do for your health on all levels:
- Breathe fully and deeply and rhythmically
- Be conscious of your breathing
- Bring your awareness down into your heart area and imagine the breath flowing in and out of your heart.
We need to make our relationship with food full, deep, conscious, balanced and peaceful.
To stop emotional eating, consider what it means to eat fully and deeply and consciously.
- You want to experience the range of sensations involved with eating. Eating is a great pleasure in life and we need to appreciate that. Think of the labor it took to create the meal and let your gratitude for the food you eat fill your heart. Give thanks.
- Eating consciously involves noticing the sensations of eating, be aware of where the food came from, and how it affects you.
- You can experiment by eating one type of food in isolation and then observing the effect it has on you.
- Eating in a balanced way means to be in balance with the rhythms of your own life. Be in rhythm with the season, the day, the time of day we eat, etc.
- Eat to live, not live to eat.
- Bring the energy of your diet into your heart in a way that nourishes it.
Scientists at the Institute of HeartMath have researched the heart-mind connection for decades and found that one of the most important factors in weight managment is managing your emotions.
HeartMath provides technology tools and webinar training to teach people how to transform stress into positive emotions. Creators of the emWave2, a must have alternative health device — Dr. Oz Show 2011.
The emWave2 from HeartMath is a state of the art tool, about the size of an iPhone, which works on the science of heart rate variability. It is the technology part of their Stopping Emotional Eating program.
This device helps you change stress into positive energy. It works great and I’ve been using it for years now. In fact, I just used it a while ago to calm myself and center in the heart.
You can even sign up to work with a coach who will help you if you want to go that route.